NORWALK, Conn. -- Xerox (NYSE: XRX) announced today that 11 employees will take a fully-paid leave of absence to volunteer for local non-profit organizations, engaging in activities ranging from simplifying business operations to instructing at-risk teens on independent living.
The paid leave is part of the company’s Social Service Leave program, known as corporate America’s first community service sabbatical program that has loaned employees to non-profits since 1971.
“A hallmark of Xerox’s deep value system is giving back to the communities where our people work and live,” said Ursula Burns, Xerox chairman and chief executive officer. “Xerox’s Social Service Leave program allows us to spread the true wealth of our company - our people -- with organizations that need them now more than ever.”
Each of the following Social Service Leave recipients was chosen by a peer group within Xerox.
Social Service Leave participants for 2012:
- Marlene F. Bessette, Rochester, N.Y., to Catholic Family Center. Bessette will work on the ongoing management of a sustainable housing program .
- Terri Cianci-Krall, Lancaster, Pa., to Domestic Violence Services, to develop and oversee youth educational outreach activities.
- LeAngela Colbert, Indianapolis, Ind., to Center for Leadership Development. Colbert will assist in leveraging technology to reconnect alumni and to raise the organization’s profile.
- Thomas E. Coughlan, Rochester, N.Y., to National Center for the Deaf Health Research. Coughlan will engage the deaf and hard-of-hearing population and help them better understand complex health issues .
- Angelina Demyda, Rochester, N.Y., to Breast Cancer Coalition of Rochester. Deymda will work with legislative officials; and help with community events, health fairs, fundraisers and breast cancer awareness meetings.
- Sakena T. Hillman, Chicago, Ill., to Teen Living Programs. Hillman will develop workshops and support programs that teach teens the skills and knowledge they need to become independent.
- Mary R. Novick, Alton, NY., to Cracker Box Palace. Novick will work with this sanctuary for large farm animals to improve operational processes, and create new ones to achieve its long-term goals. Listen to an audio podcast of Mary discussing her leave.
- Debbie S. Rosenbaum, Syracuse, N.Y., to Say Yes to Education Syracuse. Rosenbaum will focus on fundraising, and oversee internship and apprenticeship programs.
- David A. Sears, York, Pa., to Junior Achievement of South Central Pennsylvania. Sears will work to expand the organization’s marketing and fundraising efforts, increase community awareness and increase financial support.
- Claudia R. Smith, New Orleans, La., to Families Helping Families of South East Louisiana. Smith will support processing the applications for the Standards for Excellence Certification for the non-profit organization.
- Theresa A. Yamauchi, Lake Forest, Ill., to Linking Efforts Against Drugs. Yamauchi will work with the board and staff to create and implement a sustainability plan and also assist with a strategy to increase donations.
More information about Xerox’s community involvement, environmental stewardship and sustainability, workplace practices and corporate governance can be found in the company’s Global Citizenship Report available at http://www.xerox.com/citizenship.
With sales approaching $23 billion, Xerox (NYSE: XRX) is the world’s leading enterprise for business process and document management. Its technology, expertise and services enable workplaces – from small businesses to large global enterprises – to simplify the way work gets done so they operate more effectively and focus more on what matters most: their real business. Headquartered in Norwalk, Conn., Xerox offers business process outsourcing and IT outsourcing services, including data processing, healthcare solutions, HR benefits management, finance support, transportation solutions, and customer relationship management services for commercial and government organizations worldwide. The company also provides extensive leading-edge document technology, services, software and genuine Xerox supplies for graphic communication and office printing environments of any size. The 140,000 people of Xerox serve clients in more than 160 countries. For more information, visit http://www.xerox.com, http://news.xerox.com or http://www.realbusiness.com. For investor information, visit http://www.xerox.com/investor.